Friday, October 3, 2008

Delphi

We took a 10-minute walk this morning to a bus station near Syntagma to get to coach Terminal B for our day trip to Delphi. We didn't research much on this part of our trip. The terminal was tucked inside a small side street that we almost missed. And by the time we arrived at the terminal, we'd just missed a bus. At the same time, Chris wasn't feeling well, and as we waited for the next bus in the terminal, she decided that it'd be best for her to take a day off. After I found someone to buy the extra bus ticket off me, I accompanied Chris back to the bus stop as she went back to the hotel. Our day could have had a better start to say the least.

I arrived at the bus stop in Delphi around 2pm. At this point I wanted to buy the return bus ticket back to Athens instead of doing it after the visit, lest they be sold out leaving me stuck in Delphi. The 4:30pm bus would be the earliest one that makes sense, giving me around 2 hours of visit time. The 5:30pm bus may be better depending on how much there is to see. I decided on the former since I didn't want to leave Chris alone for too long, and also to be able to have dinner in Athens at a reasonable time.

I started to regret that choice as I walked towards the site. The walk from the bus station to the site was long. It took me about 15 minutes to speed-walk there. Luckily by this time the sun had started to break through the clouds. Along the walk I saw many tourist buses parked outside, so it was a bit of a surprise to see the place relatively quiet when I entered. I guess most of the tourists must have been visiting the museum nearby.

The site was not as big as I'd imagined, which allowed me to have a rather leisurely visit. However, I had to skip the museum nearby, as well as the ancient gymnasium which is probably another 30-minute walk away. I started heading back to the bus stop after 4pm and the town was completely dead by then. I arrived back at Athens around 8pm, and got back to the hotel just in time to catch Chris leaving for dinner. We went out to buy 2 take-out subs for dinner. We must be subconsciously preparing for our return home :(

No comments: